Attract-Mode is a graphical frontend for command line emulators such as MAME, MESS and Nestopia. It hides the underlying operating system and is intended to be controlled with a joystick, gamepad or spin dial, making it ideal for use in arcade cabinets. Attract-Mode is open source and runs on Linux, OS X and Windows-based systems.
Open Source, Cross Platform
- Licensed under the GNU General Public License.
- Runs on Windows, OS X and Linux (including Raspberry Pi, Odroid).
- Built-in configuration menu, with on-screen help messages, for easy configuration of most settings.
- Frontend settings are stored in simple text files, so it is also easy to configure from your favourite text editor.
- Fully scriptable layouts written in the Squirrel programming language.
- Appearance is completely customizable/themable.
- Supports any image, video or audio format supported by FFmpeg. SWF files supported through gameswf.
- Layouts can arbitrarily position, colour, scale, rotate, pinch and skew layout artworks, text, images and videos.
- Various built in animations available (Penner easing functions, fades, sprite animation, particle effects, scrolling text, and many more).
- GLSL shader (vertex and fragment) support.
- Configurable screensaver and intro.
- Display layouts/skins from other frontends (Hyperspin, MaLa, MameWah).
- Hardware accelerated video decoding (mmal on Raspberry Pi, dxva2 on Windows, vaapi on Linux)
- Frontend actions can be mapped to any joystick, keyboard or mouse input (or unmapped completely). Arbitrary key/button/joystick combinations are supported too.
- Built-in support for multiple monitors.
- User configurable sounds and ambient music.
- Supports screen rotation and flipping (including auto-rotation to match games).
- Plug-in system to enable the extention or further customization of frontend functionality, including integration with external programs such as LED control or joystick mapping software.
- Exit hotkeys can be configured for emulators to force them to exit, even when they don't want to.
- Pause functionality allows users to return from an emulator to the frontend, and then resume again right from where they left off (Linux and Windows versions only).
- Supports per-game customization of the game launch commandline (executable and parameters).
Organize your Content
- Filter and sort game lists based on multiple game attributes.
- Easily mark and cycle through your favourite games.
- Built-in game information editor.
- Automatically generate game lists from directory contents.
- Import game information from MAME -listxml and -listsoftware commands.
- Import game lists from Hyperspin and Mamewah/Wahcade!.
- Scrape missing game information and artworks from legacy.thegamesdb.net, mamedb.blu-ferret.co.uk, progretto-snaps.net and adb.arcadeitalia.net.
- Catver.ini, nplayers.ini and history.dat file support.
- Track game usage statistics (times played, total time played).
- Steam support.
- Available localizations: Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish.
- Attract-Mode Readme
- Compile instructions
- Layouts manual
- Project Wiki
- Online Layout Editor (forum thread)
(photo by BrianAg95 with a custom layout)